Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco De Mayo

Today is the fun day where we can say happy fifth of may in Spanish and eats lots of chips and salsa. What really in Cinco De Mayo. My first thought was the Independence day of Mexico. I would not sure and honestly I would not be surprised if it was a holiday made up by America to sell sell sell. After some research I came to find out that I was completely wrong. Cinco De mayo was a large battle between the French and the Mexicans. The Mexicans were out numbered and not nearly as armed as the French. With great direction and strategy, the Mexicans were able to defeat the French. I do enjoy the French culture but a victory over the French is not much to brag about... lets be honest. For a while if you Googled "French Victories" Google would try and correct you and ask if you meant "French Defeats." The battle that did take place on the fifth of May did set the stage of ... Freedom of the French? Their Independence had been declared 50 years before. All in all my feelings for Cinco De Mayo are... Congrats Mexico, you beat the French and gave us an exuse to attend another party each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment